These mittens are my very first stranded colorwork. Ever. I cast them on in fall of 2009, and have just completed them. Not that I was working on them that whole time, mind you. I cast on, and knit the cuff of the first mitten, and then decided that it was too hard to work on while doing my senior thesis.
I picked it up again in March of 2010, and made good progress… until the slippery baby alpaca slid right off the gorgeous laminated birch needles one too many times, and I gave up on ever fixing the stitches that were dropped. It was just too complicated making sure that I put the right color back in the right place.
Finally, after completing the Rainbow Poncho of Doom, I wanted a project that was a little more complex and brain intensive. So I picked these up again. I corrected all of my mistakes. I held one color in each hand, since between casting on and actually sitting down to finish them, I learned how to knit continental (no more yarn tangles!) Then I realized I’d knit the mitts too tightly. So I ripped back to the end of the cuff, and started again. And again. And finally, I finished the first mitten. The second mitten was a comparative breeze.
The pattern is in Finnish, but it was intuitive enough that I was able to follow it. Google translations didn’t hurt. If I make something like them again, I want to add a Latvian braid like this person (Ravelry) did. For now, I’m pretty happy with how they turned out.
I am really hoping that having mittens ready for the winter will be like bringing an umbrella on a walk.